Welcome to Families First Monthly
From The Heart
Transitioning to the kitchen breakfast nook is an outdoor flowering plant I am wintering indoors. It seems to be enjoying the light from the southeast windows even when the days are more gray than blue—so far so good. The fern in the wicker stand was moved from the unheated front porch to a corner of the dining room where the light is dim and there is no furnace to blow warm air across it. A few weeks passed and I noticed many new fronds. Apparently it loves the new winter position. I need to find a winter position I like—perhaps an attitude of gratitude.
The holidays can be difficult for some because of changes like the death of a loved one, or feelings saying you, or it, or the world, is not enough or not right. Transitions can be made and a new way of life with light waits. This issue includes some stories relating to changes. Our Charity Spotlight is about Michael’s Place. Proof That Love Can Save a Life is a touching story of a young girl’s journey out of a dark place. Herein are other stories relating to transitions into things, sharing ways to reduce stresses, acts of kindness, and ways to help others.
Annaka Hansen, who has been our Teen Talk writer since 2014, is making a transition to focus on her studies and school commitments to her Senior Year at TC West. We have appreciated her viewpoints and will miss having her on board. The world is her oyster.
There are ads throughout this issue to color in and send to us for a chance to win some wonderful prizes offered by our advertisers. See the form below for the list of prizes and have fun finding an ad to color.
Thank you for reading,
Have a happy Christmas and a merry NEW YEAR
Laura Lee Kalchik
Color in the Display Ads Prize Drawing January 31, 2019
12 PRIZES TO BE AWARDED:
- Old Town Playhouse – 4 tickets to Mainstage Moon Over Buffalo — $120 value
- Oryana Community Co-op Traverse City – 2 $50 gift cards
- Nauti Cat – Traverse City cruise for 2 2019 sailing season $80 + value
- Riverside Canoe Trips Honor – Canoe for 3 or Tubing for two 2019 season — $55 value
- Hazelnut Kids Online Store with Free TC Pick up – $50
- Jonathon B Pub in TC Mall – Movie Goers (dinner/movie for 2) — $50+ value
- Korner Gem in Traverse City – $50 Gift Certificate
- Tucker’s of Northport – Bowling for 4 and a Pizza — $50 Value
- The Cottage Restaurant in Traverse City – $40 Gift Certificate
- The State Theatre or The Bijou – 4 movie passes — $34 value
- Dolls & More in Northport – $30 Gift Certificate